A dietitian is an expert in dietetics; human nutrition and the regulation of diet. A dietitian alters their patient’s nutrition based on their medical condition and individual needs. Dietitians are regulated healthcare professionals licensed to assess, diagnose, and treat nutritional problems.
A registered dietitian (RD) or registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) is a dietitian who meets all of a set of special academic and professional requirements, including the completion of a bachelor’s degree with an accredited nutrition curriculum, an internship at an approved health-care facility, foodservice organization, or community agency, and satisfactory performance on a registration exam.
Roughly half of all RDNs hold graduate degrees and many have certifications in specialized fields such as sports, paediatrics, renal, oncological, food-allergy, or gerontological nutrition. After learning about a patient’s health history, favourite foods, eating and exercise habits, the RD helps the person to set goals and to prioritize. Follow-up visits often focus on maintenance and monitoring progress.
Most RDs work in the treatment and prevention of disease (administering medical nutrition therapy, as part of medical teams), often in hospitals, health-maintenance organizations, private practices, or other health-care facilities. In addition, a large number of registered dietitians work in community and public-health settings, and/or in academia and research. A growing number of dietitians work in the food industry, journalism, sports nutrition, corporate wellness programs, and other non-traditional dietetics settings.
What to Study?
|ScPCB||UG in Nutrition & Dietetics||PG in Dietetics||Dietitian|
|ScPCB||UG in related subjects like Microbiology/Food Technology||PG in Dietetics & Nutrition||Dietitian|
Where to Study?
The following are the prestigious Institutes in India providing the courses
- University of Mumbai, Fort Campus
- All India Institute of Hygiene, West Bengal and Public Health
- SNDT Women’s University, Maharashtra
- Sophia College, Mumbai
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- University of Health Science, Haryana
- University of Mysore, Karnataka
- Lady Irwin College, New Delhi
- Amity University, Gurgaon
- Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur
- Institute of Life Sciences, Ahmedabad University
- Mother Teresa Woman’s University
- Avinashilingam University for Women, Coimbatore
- Annai Veilankanni’s Group of Educational institution, Chennai
- Manav Rachna International University, Faridabad
- Department of Home Science, University of Kolkata, West Bengal
- Devi Ahilya Nursing College, Indore,
- Dhanbagiyam Krishnaswamy Mudaliar College for Women, Vellore
Article – URL
Video – English – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-OJZHS9c3U
Earning Capability: 2 Lakhs to 5.3 Lakhs per annum